Consultancy and guidance on art procurement
It is a great matter of pleasure and privilege that we are one of the few people in the country who have the expertise on how to advise on Art Investments. Following points can be important in this regard. Progressive Art Gallery (PAG) always strives to understand the meaning of an artwork by seriously comparing the artwork with the life of the artist and his work profile before assigning the value to a piece of art.
We take responsibility of the money invested by an art buyer. We understand the basis of artwork and how it connects with the artist. How the artist will grow in the future and how long will he have the market value? We study, interact, and follow to understand how a painter or a sculptor will or will not become a master artist. We have years of experience to understand the demand and supply requirements of art markets. We advise art investors and collectors on how to avoid dealing with mediocre artists and art dealers.
HOW TO EVALUATE ART
It’s very important to understand how the art evaluation is done. Evaluating art is one of the highest requirements of sales and marketing. At PAG we ensure that we have all the necessary expertise and experience.
Here are few points we would like to share with art collectors on how to evaluate art works :
1. Art evaluation is learned by spending lifetime in understanding and experiencing art and its aesthetics.
2. Art has no common criteria to make any methodology for evaluation.
3. Each and every art and artist is different, so one needs lot of experience and perspective to understand its value.
4. For understanding the value of artwork one has to understand the life principles of the creator (the artist) without that it is impossible to value the artwork.
5. Art has a very fine relationship with thoughts, time, space, nature and society. For evaluation one needs to understand all these things seriously.
6. Art has various forms, techniques, materials, subjects and its relevance, can only be conceived and understood by spending an entire life in this field.
7. Creating serious art is a lifelong process, so for evaluation also it takes a lifelong experience.
8. Art has timeless value, one has to, therefore, appreciate it with great vision and wisdom.
9. It is important to understand the brand value and the market liquidity of the artist under valuation.
10. For a curator it is not mere subject of few paintings of an artist to evaluate but a ceaseless effort of lifetime experience.
11. Above all, dealing in art is a very extraordinary affair and one needs to be passionate.
Some of the ways in which these can be achieved are as follows :
• AWARENESS DRIVE FOR PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE BUSINESS OF ART
The Most important task in Modern Indian art world today is to start a meaningful and focused awareness drive for art collectors, buyers, museums, art institutions, artist, galleries and art promoters since our art market is still not organized.
We need to conduct seminars on regular basis and in a very sophisticated manner.
• SET PARAMETERS
It is important to set parameters and qualifications to become art advisors.
THE ART ADVISOR PARAMETERS
Advisors should have at least 25 years of active art experience. Advisors should have curated more than one hundred art exhibitions. Should have at least sold over 1500 paintings. They should have the knowledge of valuation, aesthetics of the art works, about artist creations and their philosophy. A proven track record of long association with master artists and art collectors. Should have deep knowledge of drawings, technique, color combination, Rasa’s, composition etc. in art. An advisor should be aware of both the things the essence of art as well as art market and should have knowledge of art acquisition and investments.
AN EXPERIENCED ART CURATOR CAN ADVICE COLLECTORS ON
How to authenticate a piece of art?
How to restore and preserve an artwork?
How to clean an artwork?
How to display an artwork?
How to frame an artwork?
How to enjoy an artwork?
How to buy and sell an artwork?
How to pack and safeguard an artwork?
AUTHENTICITY OF ART WORKS
A very important factor which has to be taken care by responsible and serious art galleries. Here are some points of attention on which we are working.
1. We are in constant pursuit to develop faith and trust in the art market and have requested the Government cultural departments to constitute a body regarding this.
2. Most relevant issue today to be resolved is documentation, previous artists documentation are not available. Only limited works has been documented.
3. In Indian art most institutions have big ego problem but not the experience. They were not continuously presented at the prime time of master painters.
4. Every organization has it’s own superficial identity. We need a collective thought and structure so that we can solve this in a very integrated manner.
5. There should be a team of experts who have ground level experience of interacting with masters and their works. Who understands the language, strokes, colors, technique, composition, nature and the subject of artwork.
6. There should be a team of experts to analyze different schools such as Bengal school, modern masters, and contemporary masters and for different trends and styles as well as different schools.
VALUE OF ART INCREASES WITH TIME !
• But you require to consult an expert in investment & advisory services.
• At PAG we strive to bring Transparency, Honesty, Reliability in buying art and in promoting the true art and the artist.
• Stop buying art from shopkeepers.
LOOK AT THE TIMELINE
How ‘Salvator Mundi’ Went From £45 to $450 Million in 59 Years
• 1958 - Sotheby’s London auction on June 25, 1958. it sells for £45 to someone named “Kuntz.”
• 2005 - The canvas surfaces again at an American estate sale. New York art dealer Alexander Parish purchases it for another bargain price of $10,000.
• 2013 - Having authenticated the work as a bona fide Leonardo, Parish and a consortium of fellow dealers sell it to Yves Bouvier in a private Sotheby’s sale for a cool $75–80 million. Later that year, Bouvier turns around and sells it for $127.5 million to the Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev.
• 2017 - Rybolovlev puts the painting up for sale at Christie’s. It fetches $450.3 million.
LOOK AT THE TIMELINE
How ‘Gaitonde’ Went From 1995 - Rs.5 lacs to over 20 Crores in 23 Years in 2018.
LOOK AT THE TIMELINE
How ‘Tayeb Mehta’ Went from 1978 - Rs.1000 to over 25 crores in 40 Years in 2018
EXPERT TURNKEY FOR MUSEUMS AND ARCHIVES
In India we are at the time when we should take a serious look at the condition of our Arts and Culture. Unfortunately the entire Government and its department of Art and Culture are untrained and are without any exposure. They really do not have any vision on how to develop and promote art and culture in the country. There is no plan to bring new museums and to modernize old ones. We need to have visionary people on the Board to create new environment.
We have the best team of experts to design and build new museums and to modernize old museums. We are ready to execute on turnkey basis.
1. To design and build new museums.
2. To modernize old museums.
3. To collect specific contents for need for the new museums.
4. To digitalize artifacts in various format for museums.
5. To make virtual museums.
6. Modernize display, lighting, safety, restoration, preservation etc.
7. To curate and plan new high end exhibitions.
8. Image building and branding.
9. Advisory on all basic issues.
10. Evaluation of the entire museum with contents and safety features.